Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Being a Captain is Hard Work Review



About Being a Captain is Hard Work
Captain No Beard is determined to travel to Dew Rite Volcano. He won't listen when Mongo predicts a storm or Linus indicates they are headed in the wrong direction. He insists Polly cook in the galley even though the seas are getting rough. What's a crew to do with a stubborn, know-it-all captain? Will they convince the captain he is barreling headlong into danger, or will Captain No Beard jeopardize both his safety and the crew’s with his single-minded determination to go where he wants?

Our Experience
I read this book as a bedtime story to my boys ages seven and four. They both really enjoyed it. The illustrations are colorful and fun. It had a fair amount of suspense. My kids were wondering what would happen next. I like that it focuses on teaching a lesson. Leaning that we are not always right and to listen to others are important skills. My seven year old is at a first grade reading level, but this book is more advanced. It makes a great read-aloud for parents and teaches. I also really like that there is a page at the end of the book that teaches about the different types of clouds. This takes the learning one step further by getting us outside and using our skills of observation and identification. One drawback for me was that it had a lot of characters. I got a little confused sometimes as to who was who. This might be less of an issue if we had read the other book in the series first. Overall, this book teaches a great lesson and we look forward to reading more stories in the Captain No Beard series.

You can purchase Being a Captain is Hard Work here.

I received this product on a promotional discount for my honest review and they are 100% my own opinions. I am also not associated with the seller in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment