Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

3 Pigs and the Scientific Wolf Review



About The Simple Story of the 3 Pigs and the Scientific Wolf
Once upon a time there were 3 little girl pigs plagued by the tricky wolf, but this was not an ordinary wolf. Oh no, this wolf knows about Science and Simple Machines! The question is - does he know how to use them correctly?
Meet the son of the Big Bad Wolf and the daughters of the Three Little Pigs in this illustrated (ready-to-color) take-off of the original. In this Read-Along story, the son thinks he is wiser and more clever than his father and can use his scientific knowledge of machines in order to capture the three pigs for piggy jam, piggy cake, and piggy pizza. 
Using his charm, Little pig, little pig, a new friend you’ve made. Open the door and don t be afraid, the young wolf uses an inclined plane, a lever, a wheel and axle, wedges, gears, and a screw to catch the pigs. But the young wolf doesn’t quite use his critical thinking skills along with his scientific knowledge!
The book includes a Science Attitude Survey, 8 Simple Machine Lesson Plans for hands-on learning, 8 Extended Challenge Activities, 8 Critical/Creative Thinking Questions, and an end-of-unit Assessment.
The activities are correlated to the National Science Standards and include Objectives for Students.

Our Experience
My three boys really like science. This book is at just the right level for my first grader. My fourth grader already knew most of this information, but a review never hurts. I like that it took a traditional and recognizable fairy tale and incorporated simple machines. The illustrations are cute, however they could be more informative and educational. Because of the student activities and worksheets I feel that this is geared more towards teachers in a classroom setting. However, at home we just talked about the questions and answers in a less formal way. Overall, I think this is a fun introduction to simple machines for kids.

You can purchase the book here.

I received this product on a promotional discount for my honest review and they are 100% my own opinions. I received no compensation for this review and I am not required to give a good review. I am also not associated with the seller in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment