Pages

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Children Learning Reading Program Review



Reading is such an important skill. I remember Mr. O Learning to read effortlessly when he was about 3 1/2 years old. I thought it would be the same with Mr. R. He turned 4 in March and hasn't shown much of an interest in reading unlike his brother.
I was excited to get the opportunity to review a reading program for children - the Children Learning Reading Program. There is a very in depth introduction which explains phonetic awareness and systematic synthetic phonics. I learned a lot. At the same time I'll admit that I was a little overwhelmed. I wanted to jump in so I read about blending and got started. There are 28 lessons in stage one. Starting with the letter A.
The lessons are very quick and can be incorporated into everyday interactions. This is so important to me because sometimes Mr. R can be somewhat resistant when he knows I'm trying to teach him something new. He'll make silly sounds and dance around. We were able to go at our own pace and we spent several days on each lesson.
I like that the proper pronunciation is included with the program. I had no problem downloading them and listening to them on the computer. The program also includes stories associated with some of the lessons as well as nursery rhymes and sight words.
I would suggest buying or making a set of alphabet flash cards. These will come in handy for practicing each letter and can be placed side by side to create more complex words. I've made a set that I put in my purse for when we are out running errands or before we get served at a restaurant.
I've seen some good progress from Mr. R. I know the more I work with him the better he will become. I'm confident he will be reading by the time he starts Kindergarten. I also know that his little brother will be able to get a head start.



You can connect with the Children Learning Reading Program - 
Website
Facebook


I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment